STATISTICS AND FACTS
• In the U.S., calls to poison control centres related to the use of synthetic drugs increased between 2010 and 2012 by almost 80 percent.3
• In UK prisons, Black Mamba is the drug of choice. This synthetic marijuana has put scores of prisoners in the hospital and has contributed to escalating prison violence and self harm. As one prisoner reported, Black Mamba “sends people mad in different ways.”
• In 2014, “K2” from a Texas dealer was linked to 120 overdoses in Austin and Dallas in one week alone.
There have been numerous fatal car accidents documented involving people under the influence of synthetic marijuana:
• While jogging, a 62-year-old man was struck by a 20-year-old man who tested positive for synthetic marijuana.
• Another 20-year-old man smashed into a tree and died after smoking synthetic marijuana.
• A brother and sister were killed when a rubbish truck drove 500 feet across a highway divider at 55 mph and sliced off the roof of their vehicle. The driver of the truck admitted to using synthetic marijuana.
- “Global Synthetic Drugs Assessment,” UN Office on Drugs and Crime, 2014.